10/23/2013

What is a Leader?

What is a leader? There are many definitions but really a leader is someone who has influence over others because of their position or their responsibility. This can be positive influence or negative influence. Their effectiveness as a leader depends both on who they are and how the interact with others. For most people, their effectiveness as a leader must be developed over the course of many years - there are very few 'natural leaders'. Though we may not be good leaders today or have much influence, God is calling each of us to be leaders who represent God's standards and accomplish His purposes in our families, schools, churches, communities and even sometimes in very important business or political settings.

In order to become a leader, you must develop in three areas:
  1. Character - who am I?
  2. Skills - what do I do and how do I work?
  3. Vision - how do I know what God wants from me and from those whom I lead?
This is a process that we will discuss over the next months.

Before our first class, please take time to read and think through these things before we meet...

1. Read this article on "What makes a Great Leader". Is this the type of leader you want to be? Or do you want to be something else? What is a great leader? Then identify 2 great leaders and think about how they have influenced your life.


2. Think about how God is shaping you in these areas (we will discuss together):

  • Your Personality
  • Your Testimony
  • Your Teachability
  • Your Moral Character
  • Your attitude and emotions (how you respond in different situations)

No comments: