The next 2 stages of leadership development are where most young people find themselves: Character and Spiritual Formation, Service and Application. First we need to understand that BEING the person God wants us to be is much more important the DOING the things that demonstrate quality Christian leadership. If we allow God to shape our character through an intimate relationship with Him, we will eventually become much more effective in our service to Him.
God's objectives here are:
- Intimacy - How close do I live to God and how much do I really depend on Him?
- Discernment - What is really important to God and how does that shape my values?
- Lordship - Is obeying God's Word always first in my decision making process?
- Security - Do I trust God to accomplish what He wants in me no matter the personal cost?
- Identity - Am I more concerned about others and their opinion of me or what God says about me?
- Convictions and disciplines - Based on how I spend my time and money, what are the things I consider most valuable?
AFTER we develop in each of these areas, God has begun to shape us into a person that He can use. The next stage is called "Service and Application". We are now able to serve because we understand what God values and are able to depend on Him for the perspective, wisdom and strength to do what may otherwise be impossible. Evaluate yourself and talk though your evaluation with a parent, youth leader or mentor. Note the areas you still need to grow in and develop a plan for growth.
(source: "Portrait of a Leader", bk 1, pp 61-78)
1 comment:
Yesterday we had an inspiring meeting about the qualities of leaders. I´d like to focus more on being courageous because I don´t take big steps so easily; I'm often to scared of the personal cost those steps might bring. So therefore I'm trying to be a better decision maker and responsibility taker this week!
How did you experience your meeting yesterday?
For all the other who want to be more courageous a very encouraging song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
Thanks,Paul!
God Bless you all!
Joanne
Post a Comment