1/04/2020

Evaluating for a New Year



Welcome to a New Year! 

We'll have to wait one more year for a new decade to begin, even though we have left the "20 teens" now. You can read up on this confusion here.

It always amazes me to look back at the previous year - or even the last 20 or 30 years - and see how different my life is and what seems to take my time, attention and even my money. So as I look back now, in the opening days of 2020, hopefully there are fewer things that I need to realign but there are always more things to learn and to do better. Here are a few questions I'm asking which may also be helpful for you...

1. Which relationships need more attention in the coming year? I have lost regular contact with some of my best lifetime friends in recent years. This is due to a gradual shift in our priorities and just being involved in different things and living in different countries. How can I be more intentional about these relationships while continuing to give attention to those who need me now?

2. How will I continue to grow as a follower of Christ and in effectively living out my calling and ministry? If you haven't set some life goals, then you have a bit of work to do in this area! But it is never too late and there should always be short-term goals that help us move forward in the coming days and months. I also take time to evaluate what books I will read, which email updates, blogs or news feeds get my attention and what professional growth options I have.

3. How will I spend my time and money this year? Of course time and money are not really mine, but I need to learn to use them well - this is called stewardship. The first 2 points play into this heavily, but it is also important to take a more careful look at my daily schedule and budget at the beginning of each year. How does my schedule and budget reflect my priorities? Are there things that must be adjusted? I'm taking care of these things now and setting a pattern for the next 60 days. Then I'll reevaluate, if necessary.

There are a few important things I need to adjust and this continues to challenge me every day. My conversations should always push myself and others into a larger perspective on life, a perspective in light of eternity which highlights biblical values. Our budget needs to be tweaked a little to spend less on ourselves and more on others. I will also spend less time on social media and less time on my phone while increasing face-to-face contact, outdoor activity and exercise. And there is always room for more prayer and focussed study of God's Word which brings clarity to both my heart and my mind and a deeper sensitivity to what God wants to do in me and through me. I want to live each moment for His glory and the blessing of others. Remember that wisdom is not only knowing the right thing to do but also doing it. Let's get started!

No comments: