11/15/2013

How God Calls a Leader

Many times we see great leaders and we wonder how they became great. Leaders do not become great leaders overnight. There is a long process and often a calling from God that enables them to become who they are. Let's think for a moment about the concept of "calling".

In the late 1800's, a group of young job seekers congregated in the waiting room of a telegraph hiring agency. Each job prospect who was waiting for an interview was engulfed in reading, chatting and munching... except one young man. Through all the commotion he heard a message tapped out in code, "If you hear this message come through the office door." With ears perked up, the man understood the invitation being offered. So the young man walked through the office door. A few minutes later he returned to the waiting room, grinned and told the other job seekers, "You can all go home, I just got the job."

Like the prophet Isaiah, this young man heard the general call that went out to everyone in the waiting room and responded to it, making it his call. He listened. He understood. He acted. He got results.

God is calling every Christian to stand up and lead. Have you heard His call? What is He calling us to do specifically? We can see many example of God's calling in Scripture: the Apostle Paul, Queen Esther, Jeremiah, Joseph; which type of call did they receive and why was it appropriate for them? How is God's calling appropriate for you in your situation? Please comment below!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved the example of the young man waiting for the message, waiting to get the job. It is a very clear example and good to think about.

I actually find it very difficult to anwer the question if I've heard God's call.. 'cause what does it sound like? When do I know God's calling me? I did have some special moments, though. In just one week, I heard several sermons about Ephesians 2. And on another night in that week, my daily Bible scheme let me read Ephesians 2. And again, on a event where I went to listen to a minister talking, guess what.. Ephesians 2. Things like that makes me wonder. Does God have a special meaning with this for me? I read Ephesians 2 several times and I have to say that it is a beautiful chapter. I really learned something of this. That was just something I wanted to share.

But still.. when do I know God's calling me? It would be so much easier if I would get a call like Paul. He had no doubt that God was calling him. He could her Him speak. He could hear God calling him. I was just talking about this yesterday with a good friend of my. We both share a friend who is totally of trackl, and she said to me: "I really hope he gets turned around, just like Paul." And I thought: 'Yes, that would be perfect.' That's kind of a coincidence.

Sometimes I wish I was like queen Esther. Ready to step out, saying: 'You don't mess with my people, with my faith.' She's a great example for me. Through God she was able to do and say the right thing. She was an awesome queen.